All Saints' Church, Stranton is one of three churches in Hartlepool to have bells in their tower. St Aidans and St Oswalds are the other two. The Arts Centre, formerly Christ Church, also has a ring of bells. Campanology, the art of bell ringing almost died out in Hartlepool, but recent years has seen an increasingly enthusiastic number of people who have learned to ring and make the bells heard on a regular basis.History
There have been bells at All Saints' Church, Stranton since the middle ages. The church is known to have had a bell in the tower since 1664. A second bell is of great antiquity and is thought to be from around that time, although no exact date is recorded. A third bell was hung in the tower in 1699 and was recast in 1898.
The cast/recast work in 1908 was undertaken by Mears and Stainbank of the Whitechapel Bell Foundry, Whitechapel, London. The bells were hung in a wrought iron frame suspended on steel girders.
The bells were rehung again by the Whitechapel Bell Foundry in 1951 when ball bearings were fitted.The Bells
Anybody who would like to learn or know more about ringing bells in Hartlepool can contact:
Andrew Frost on 01429 281767 or Email at email@example.com
|The bell peals|
Rooted in Godís love, Growing together with Jesus, Branching out in the power of the Holy Spirit
All Saints' Church, Stranton and Burbank Community Church, Hartlepool